The 49ers game today defeat over the Titans was abysmal, to say the least.
For the most of the first half, the 49ers game today were in command. Then came the turnovers, and Jimmy Garoppolo’s failed passes enabled the Titans to stay in the game. At Nissan Stadium, a 10-0 halftime advantage turned into a 20-17 setback.
Each quarter, we’ve made the following observations:
— JaMycal Hasty took a fast knee on the first kick in Tennessee after fumbling the opening kick against the Falcons.
– Deebo Samuel had two touches in the first series, one grab and one run, both for first downs.
— Early on, Jimmy Garoppolo sees a lot of play action and pocket movement. Allowing him to chuck simple passes and avoiding a strong Titans defence.
— San Francisco’s methodical first drive results in a touchdown. To get 75 yards, they needed nine plays. From a yard out, Jeff Wilson Jr. punched it in. Garoppolo completed 5 of 5 passes for 59 yards. The 49ers are up 7-0.
— After the score, the Titans get a 37-yard kickoff return, and the 49ers’ special teams struggles continue.
— Samson Ebukam of the 49ers gets the game’s first sack. Nick Bosa is receiving a lot of attention from the Titans. On Bosa’s side, Arden Key broke loose and pushed QB Ryan Tannehill to step into Ebukam.
— The Titans went with a draw play on third-and-15, and Arik Armstead met the running back in the backfield. The defensive lineman made a great play to force a punt.
— Kyle Shanahan is doing an excellent job of neutralising Tennessee’s pass rush. There are a lot of fast passes and screens, and Garoppolo is doing an excellent job of taking everything the defence throws at him.
— Garoppolo throws an interception in the end zone on his first pass. Tossing a covered George Kittle is unforgivable. It’s one thing to get the ball to the playmakers; it’s another to force it into coverage. That was a mistake, and it cost San Francisco points.
– Oh my god, Fred Warner just saw WR AJ Brown on a sweep. The play was initially stretched out by Arden Key, and Warner swooped in to intercept Brown for a loss. That was a fantastic play by the LB.
49ers 7, Titans 0 at the end of the first quarter.
— Juszczyk was wide open down the sideline for a score, but Garoppolo was unable to complete the pass. For the quarterback, it was a dreadful miss.
— The 49ers run it with Hasty for three yards on third-and-4 from the Titans’ 34 yard line. Knowing it was two-down territory, it was a terrific play call, and the 49ers converted the fourth down on a Garoppolo-to-Samuel pass. San Francisco’s offence did a great job on consecutive plays.
– Wilson is getting a lot of throws. He now has three targets, which is a season high.
Deebo is a character in the game Deebo. Samuel is a fantastic person. On third-and-26, he was tackled for a loss but battled past tacklers to gain 6 yards and set up a 48-yard field goal for Robbie Gould. He nailed it to put the 49ers up 10-0. It should have been 21-0 if the quarterback hadn’t thrown a couple of terrible passes.
— Garoppolo throws another pass that could have been intercepted. He took a straight shot at LB Rashaan Evans, who dropped it. Tonight, the 49ers’ quarterback has thrown three poor passes.
— On third-and-long, Garoppolo is sacked and fumbles, but Kittle dives in. It was a heads-up play from the tight end, otherwise it would’ve been the night’s second turnover.
— Mitch Wishnowsky is having a hard time. With little over three minutes remaining in the first half, he shanked a punt that only travelled 30 yards, giving the Titans ideal field position. This should be a rout for San Francisco. The Titans, on the other hand, are lingering. That is never a good idea.
— Ambry Thomas’ pass is intercepted! Thomas made a play to swat a long pass away while he was one-on-one with Julio Jones. Against the Falcons, he struggled with this.
— In this one, K’Waun Williams and Jimmie Ward are all over the place. Thanks in part to the solid tackling of Williams, Ward, and strong safety Jaquiski Tartt, Tannehill has 10 completions on 13 attempts for 40 yards.
— In the two-minute drill, a long shot to Jauan Jennings. That’s fascinating.
— Kyle Shanahan seemed to be uninterested in scoring before the half. The 49ers went into halftime with two timeouts after a couple of rushes and an easy throw.
End of second quarter: 49ers 10, Titans 0
— The Titans convert a third-and-15 situation. The pass rush of the 49ers has been underwhelming.
— Another convert at third-and-long. The 49ers’ defence is off to a poor start in the second half. AJ Brown is preparing a meal.
— In the red zone, the 49ers toughened up. The Titans’ offence stopped moving the ball down the field, and San Francisco’s defence began to crumble. That’s how good they’ve played the whole game.
— Another interception by Garoppolo. He threw one to Quandre Diggs in Seattle, and it was exactly the same. It was simple for him to airmail Samuel. pick. The Titans have two turnovers. For the 49ers, there are none.
– Thomas receives a new PBU. This time it was in the end zone versus Brown. The rookie third-round selection has made significant progress week over week.
– D’Onta Foreman’s touchdown for the Titans ties the score one play later. Because to Garoppolo’s terrible performance, this game is currently tied at 10-10.
– Unbelievable. Trent Williams moves early for a false start on fourth-and-1. The 49ers are stuck in their own rut. On fourth-and-6, the 49ers went for it, but Garoppolo missed a wide-open Aiyuk. I’m not sure whether there was a route confusion or if it was just a missed pass.
— Jordan Willis had a big sack on a second-and-18 that was set up by a holding penalty against Nick Bosa, who was on the verge of a sack. If the 49ers’ pass rush gets going, they have a chance to win this game.
– This is inexcusable. At the conclusion of the third quarter, the Niners’ defence jumped offsides, and Tannehill found Brown working on Ambry Thomas for a 42-yard gain on the free play. San Francisco has suffered another another setback.
Titans 10, 49ers 10 at the end of the third quarter.
– Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa Kentavius Street made an outstanding play by shoving the guard back into Tannehill for a sack. He is a powerful human being.
— The Titans convert a third-and-10 situation. This is a humiliating defeat for the 49ers’ defence.
– AJ Brown scores a touchdown. He is unstoppable by the 49ers. With the Titans leading 17-10, the game appeared to be over.
— In the centre of the field, there’s the everyday Jauan Jennings drop.
— 1st-and-20 following a hold on Alex Mack and a sack by Garoppolo. This is pitiful.
— On third-and-8, a Titans tight end runs uncovered for a first down. We’re on the verge of having the worst defeat of the year. The 49ers seem to be in terrible shape.
— A stop on third down! The 49ers applied a lot of pressure, and Azeez Al-Shaair sacked the quarterback.
— The Titans are focusing a lot of attention on Kittle, which the 49ers are exploiting by getting the ball to players who are wide open. Samuel sped 56 yards on a slant after catching a short pass. On eight receptions, he’s accumulated 143 yards. His 56-yard catch placed the 49ers on the 6 yard line.
– Aiyuk scores a touchdown. Garoppolo did an excellent job of distracting the defenders and allowing Aiyuk to go open through the centre. To tie this one at 17, that’s a fantastic concept and execution.
— The 49ers seemed to be on their way to converting a third-and-6 against the Titans, but Marcell Harris was called for pass interference. Self-inflicted wounds abound.
— With 1:05 remaining, Tannehill’s big run puts the Titans in field goal range. Abysmal.